A recent study has been done to find out that your texting habits reveal something about you? And that is originated from the attachment theory of John Bowlby, and later Mary Aimsworth.
According to them, there were three types of attachments that show that how the child is attached to their mothers.
- Avoid attachment is the attachment where the child was not distressed when the mother goes out.
- Insecure attachment is the attachment where the child distressed when the mother goes out.
- Secure attachment is the attachment where the child would be a little bit anxious when the mother left.
It was for children but later on, it applied to adult also. Later on, a surveyed has been made on those people who are in the romantic relationship and their approx relationship length was 15 months. The survey has been done on 395 students. We have checked two things. First one is how they communicated and the second is what they have the relationship between attachment style and texting habits. In first thing we have checked the form of communications means they communicate via e-mail, the internet, chat, Skype etc. In second we placed them in the above attachment category.
- Avoid attachment style where individuals are highly independent and keep the emotional distance.
- Insecure attachment style where they feel insecure from being separated from loved ones.
- Secure attachment style where they are not insecure, and even don’t require reassurance and all.
The individuals which come under the category of avoiding and insecure attachment style texted more as compared to those who come under secure attachment style. There could be any reasons like they feel insecure, fears of abandonment, need for reassurance etc. That kind of person needs to be loved. So, it’s good if instead of texting only you meet your partner reduces his/her anxiety, provides them reassurance and love them.
The people who are under avoidance category text regularly to maintain emotional distance. If you are away on weekends with your friend then your partner message you regularly to know that what you are doing, how are you and with whom you are only to make them feel in control. They try to express their emotions through texts.