Selecting kitchen cabinets is either exciting or arduous, depending on your interest. However, there is no doubt that the availability of options is not an issue when it comes to redesigning an old kitchen or building a new one. The options vary from different sizes, colours and materials which can adorn your kitchen. Kitchen appliances like dishwashers and ovens are now considered an integral part of kitchen decor along with cabinets.
At the very outset, you need to make a fundamental decision between appearance and functionality. If you go only for appearance, you might get praise from your guests but you will face difficulty on a day to day basis. On the other hand, if you opt to focus on functionality, the look and feel might not go with the rest of the modern household.
In this post, we discuss 7 tips for selecting the right kitchen cabinets.
1. Complement the Kitchen Style – Before you go about deciding upon the specific aspects of the kitchen cabinets that you will install, it is important to finalise the overall kitchen style. Is it minimalistic or functional? What is the color scheme? How does it go with the rest of the house? Once you have done this, you should select kitchen cabinets that complement or enhance this style. For instance, selecting overly dark kitchen cabinets when the paint in the kitchen is also dark will camouflage everything and make it dull.
2. Right Customization – When sorting through kitchen cabinet choices, you have three options – custom cabinets, semi-custom cabinets and stock cabinets. Custom cabinets are those which are built specifically for you to suit your needs. Obviously, this means you will need to make a lot of decisions and spend a lot of money. Semi-custom cabinets are cheaper than custom ones and offer less choices. Stock cabinets are the cheapest of the lot but offer least choices. Manufacturers pre-determine sizes and dimensions so your choices are limited. But they are a good bet for most home owners.
3. Choice of Material – Even today, the choice of material remains the biggest decision that you make when it comes to selecting kitchen cabinets. The options include wood, stainless steel, melamine and even metal. However, most people fall back on the traditional solid wood option.
4. Don’t Ignore Functionality – While it is fair to let looks influence your decision about kitchen cabinets, it’s crucial to not let it overpower your choice. Functionality is supremely important and must be kept in mind at all times. Cabinets with premium features ensure that the space in the kitchen is fully utilised and you have sufficient place for all utensils and appliances while being aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. One of the ways modern architects create more space is the use of drawers under the kitchen counters instead of large shelves which may be unwieldy.
5. Type of Construction – In this respect, you have two main options – traditional framed cabinets or European style frameless cabinets. As the name suggests, in framed cabinets, there is a front frame around the opening to which the door is attached. Frameless cabinets, on the other hand, do not have a front frame. These are mostly used in contemporary kitchens and often preferred due to the direct access that they provide to the interior of the cabinets. Door styles also impact decision making.
6. Hardware Options – It is here that you can go crazy. Hardware includes pulls, knobs and handles to the kitchen cabinets. Choosing the right hardware can make or break the look and feel of the kitchen. The hardware choices range from colors, style and finishing. It makes sense to complement or contrast them with the kitchen color and the style of cabinets that you have chosen. This will be one of the last decisions that you take when remodelling or building your kitchen.
7. Budget – In the midst of reading various tips for choosing the best kitchen cabinets, one must not forget the most important factor – which is your budget. It is important to keep an overall figure in mind and also decide how much you are willing to deviate from this figure. The wide range of available options will definitely intrigue or overwhelm you but if you and your family are clear on what you want, it will certainly help you come to a decision much faster.
At the broader level, a kitchen is where magic happens not just when it comes to food and nutrition. For many modern families, it is a sanctuary where they find some solace at the end of a busy day. It’s where families come together after a hectic work schedule. Hence, it is a decision which should be made after due consideration. After all, it is not that you can remodel your kitchen every year.