If you had seen the movie “Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara” then you are aware of this festival. This festival’s name is La Tomatina, which is celebrated in Spain.
At this festival, they throw tomatoes at each other for entertainment purposes. It was started in 1945, and they celebrated it on the last Wednesday of month August each year.
Firstly the rules of this festival are:
- When you throw tomatoes it should be squashed so that no one hurts.
- Except tomatoes, no other things are allowed.
- Participants have to make way for trollies and trucks that are full of tomatoes.
- Once the tomato finished no one can throw tomatoes after that.
Here are some interesting facts about this festival:-
1. The Reason Behind Celebration Is Still Unknown
Tomato fight has been a strong tradition in Bunol, they play with tomatoes for fun. But the reason that why they celebrated it is still unknown. No one knows how this event originated.
2. When The Guy Climbs On A Pole Then This Festive Start
A loaf of pork is tied on the top of the pole, and any guy who can bring that pork down by climbing on a greasy pole then only this festive starts. It’s totally sound like Indian festival “Janmashtami”.
3. Festival Last Only One Hour
If you are planning to travel Spain for this festival then we suggest you should have a better plan. It will really surprise you that this festive last only for one hour. And tomatoes are in 5 trucks.
4. All The Spaniards Hardly Attend The Event
This festive is a tradition of only locals but still all the Spaniards join this and even not the Spanish all the tourists also. This festive is really having a remarkable effect on tourists.
5. After The Event Tomatoes, Based Dishes Are Being Served
The food stalls nearby serve tomato based dishes. They also offer bruschetta-a dish made by using pork. But if you are veg then carry some chips or snacks along with yourself.